Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chinese tea eggs


 
Tea eggs anyone? Whenever I am craving a satisfying snack what comes to my mind? Tea eggs! I have tried a couple recipes and found the one I have posted below my favorite. I love using jasmine tea instead of black tea in my stock because the eggs come out more aromatic and delicious. Cooking time is about 2 hours and 15 minutes and serves about 2-4 people. I know the 2 hours and 15 minutes might seem long, but really during that time you are just letting the eggs simmer in the fragrant stock so you can easily be watching the FOOD Network or browsing the Internet for other Chinese recipes. Pretty easy right?! For this recipe I have everything listed for you below:
  • 6 eggs
  • 4 cups of water
  • 8 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
  • 2 jasmine tea bags
Hard boil eggs in water and allow to cool. Prepare stock in separate pot by first heating up water and bringing it to boil. Add soy sauce, five spice powder and jasmine tea bags. Reduce heat to medium-low and let boil for 15 minutes. Once eggs are cool, peel the complete shell off of the egg and place in stock. Continue to simmer eggs and stock on low for 2 hours. Remove pot from heat and allow to cool. Set aside pot overnight in the refrigerator for the flavor to infuse into the eggs. The eggs should turn light brown in the stock. Remove eggs from stock and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment